Saturday, January 2, 2016

Palm Desert Photographer~ Project G365 Saturday and Opportunity

Looking for photography in the Coachella Valley and Palm Springs areas? Julie specializes in documentary, lifestyle and storytelling photography serving the Palm Springs, Palm Desert, La Quinta, Indian Wells, Bermuda Dunes, Riverside County and Southern California areas. She is available for maternity, birth, newborn, baby, children and family portraits, documentary, and fine art photo sessions.



Today is Saturday and so the theme of gratitude is that of 
OPPORTUNITY.




Today I am grateful for a doctor's appointment where I felt
utterly judged as a parent.
It was last week, and I had brought Ems in 
to have her skin looked at.
She has had some pretty rough red scaly patches on her hands 
that get worse at night and in water,
so I wanted to rule out or confirm eczema.
While there, we saw the nurse practitioner for the first time.
We have always up until this time seen the pediatrician.
Normally I wouldn't have a problem seeing the nurse practitioner.
So often they are far more helpful than the actual doctors.
Not this time though.
All she saw was Ems height and weight 
and how they didn't look so good 
on a chart compared to other kids her age.
Because of this number I was immediately put into a
specific parent category type.
Instead of asking me 
what her diet and exercise routine looked like, 
she made assumptions and just handed me nutritional information pamphlets.
I am not saying Ems has the best diet, it could certainly improve,
but to make assumptions like that was both rude, 
medically presumptive and  possibly negligent.
I did speak up though and made known that 
I had asked the doctor about the weight issue before
and was told she was not concerned.
I am concerned though and I also let the nurse know
that I am confused because I see what Ems eats
and it doesn't line up with her weight.
Her diet isn't perfect, but we also 
don't eat a lot of junk food either.
Because of all the health issues we have experienced
as a family, I am concerned.
She seemed to listen, but to her I was still obviously that parent
stuck in that category. 
 She has ordered some blood tests
and in the meantime it is a wake up call
for the whole family.
I am thankful for the opportunity to really analyze 
what we are eating and to change it for the better,
all of us, not just her.
I am thankful for the sense of urgency it has instilled,
because letting it go another day is no longer an option.
So today we put down the devices and went outside,
to play in the front yard.
Not just her,
not just her and me,
but her, me, her daddy, and 
her brother (the one who rarely leaves his room these days)
all outside playing,
running, skipping, throwing,
and laughing
for an hour. 
I am grateful for this day's opportunity 
as well as hopeful for many more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment