Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Palm Desert Lifestyle Photographer... And Then We Snapped- Blog Circle 365

This has been an interesting week.
My boys have been gone for most of it on a last chance mini-vacation
with their grandmother in the Central Coast of California.
Work obligations kept me here in the desert and home for an unexpected visit from my dad-
which did not get documented, unfortunately.
Motivation for me to visit him in his new home in Texas.





Here I will share with you images from my past week. Sunday through Saturday. 
August 3rd to August 9th, 2014. Images 212 to 218 of 365. 



212/365 "Rain"
"Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life."

John Updike



It rains pretty rarely here in the desert, so when it does come, it is met with appreciation and awe.



~~~








213/365

"Chip Coma"

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."
Mark Twain

Between the belly full of corn tortilla chips (which she considers a food group) 
and Mary Poppins on the DVR, she could not resist the pull into dreamland. 
Side note, later, upon seeing me editing pictures of her sleeping, 
she demanded her jelly bean payment as per her modeling contract. 


~~~






214/365 "The Other Golden Hour"

“Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.”



This was taken before 7 am in our neck of the woods. 
I know that the eastern morning sun has a different quality of light to it because I can see it. 
It's subtle but it's there. I can't explain exactly why,
 though I am sure there is some scientific explanation. 
Rather than explain it though, for this day, I just wanted to enjoy it. 



~~~~







215/365 "The Magic Hallway"

"It's a good place when all you have is hope and not expectations."

This is one of my favorite places in my house. It is a narrow hallway with an Eastern facing window, but because it has white walls it essentially becomes a box full of light.
 I have taken many of my favorite shots here in this unassuming little place. 
This was not the exact shot I was going for. 
We have created a little game of mopping the floor called "Penguin Ice Skating". 
It was in preparation for this game that the broom was out. 
I kept urging her to move toward the window and this was the result. 




~~~







216/365 " Grip"



Like everyone else, I've had moments when I've felt that I've been losing my grip.

This was definitely one of those weeks for me. 
 I am anxiously awaiting the end of a commitment. 
It is one that has been beneficial to my family, but has nearly cost me my sanity in the process.
 It is very close to it's conclusion. I can see it! 
Which makes it that much worse as I long for it and am anxious for it to be here, 
so that I can move on to those things that have had to wait because of this first commitment. 
I have dealt with so much more and on such a grander scale, 
but the multitude of little things catches up to me like a swarm of flies, irritating, biting, 
and I am unable to ignore them or find sanctuary from them.
 In comparison to the events unfolding on the world stage, my irritations are nothing, 
I know this, yet these little flies still swarm around me. 




~~~~







217/365 "Fabric"

We live in a web of ideas, a fabric of our own making.

The staff at the children's museum I teach art classes at asked me
if I could use some fabric for art lessons involving textures.
"Of course!" I said.
 I was gifted with three LARGE black trash bags  filled to the bring with fabric remnants- not scraps.  So I brought them home and added 5 large boxes to the mix as well.
We are working on day three of absolutely no requests for screen time.
Side note, two of these children are not my own.
They have been visiting us three days a week this summer. 


~~~




Day 218/365 "Graffiti"

“People say graffiti is ugly, irresponsible and childish... but that's only if it's done properly.” 
― BanksyWall and Piece

Almost everything she owns (as well as many things I own)
have been "tagged" by my little up and coming artist.
For her, the world is a coloring book that does not end at the edge of the page.
It both infuriates me and thrills me at the same time, making me love her even more.


Click on the camera to follow the blog circle to Nadeen's blog.




No comments:

Post a Comment